Writers on Wednesday: James Bushill

Welcome to another brilliant Writers on Wednesday post. This week I am chatting with Brisbane based author James Bushill about Coopers Pale Ale and, more importantly, his debut novel, Adam ...



Tell me a bit about yourself …

I’m originally from Windsor, England, famous for being home to the Queen and her castle. Sadly I have no royal connections beyond that. After I moved to Australia to study, I ended up falling in love with a girl and a country, and emigrating for good. I now live in Brisbane, Queensland, where I work as a deckhand on the CityCats, the local ferry service.

Tell us about your most recently published book?

Adam” is my first novel. It’s a sci-fi thriller inspired by Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein. The story takes place on an abandoned mining asteroid. It follows the unforeseen and occasionally disastrous consequences of the creation of the world’s first biological supercomputer.

As writer, what has been your proudest achievement so far?

Writing and completing my first screenplay in 2012. Before then, I’d talked a good game, procrastinating for fear of my work not being any good. At that time, I started treating writing as a profession, and as a craft to be honed rather than a muse to be waited on. I’ll never forget the pride I felt in the few minutes after I finished that script. Unfortunately, that feeling was closely followed by the realisation that the finished product wasn’t that good, but the mere act of finishing gave me the confidence to keep writing.

What books or writing projects are you currently working on, if anything?

I’m in the process of deciding on my next writing project. I’m torn between writing a sequel to Adam, a different sci-fi book altogether, a Victorian detective story, or a noir thriller set in Brisbane. Hopefully, I’ll decide on one soon, and be able to write all four eventually.

Which do you prefer? eBooks or Paper Books? Why?

Paper books. The older, the better. My favourites are the ones that I find at the book fairs in Brisbane, with faded inscriptions from long gone friends or lovers, and tattered corners from being read and reread. However, despite my enduring love for paper books, and against my better judgement, I’m more likely to read an ebook or listen to an audiobook nowadays. Convenience wins, sadly.

Indie Publishing, or Traditional Publishing?

Indie publishing. I wrote my novel without really considering the publishing process, and it was a wonderful surprise to find a whole Indie ecosystem waiting for me when I’d finished. I love the freedom and the control it gives me over the finished product. However, I’ve got a lot of respect for people working in Traditional Publishing, the majority of whom are book lovers, and I don’t agree with the negative views of some in the Indie community. I think there’s still a place for both methods of publishing, and the many hybrids of the two.

Aside from your own books, of course, what is one book that you feel everybody should read?

The Leopard” by Giuseppe Tomasi Di Lampedusa. It’s a classic Italian novel, set in Sicily in the late 1800s at a time of great political upheaval, but the story is timeless, the poignant tale of an aging nobleman’s struggle to adapt to his family’s waning power, and his own failing health. It’s beautifully written, a magical book that stays with you long after the first reading.  

Finally … is there anything you would like to say to your readers in Adelaide, Australia?

I first knew of Adelaide as the city where my parents’ friends, Peter and Janet, were from. But to a kid in England, it may as well have been on another planet. With little to no knowledge of Australia, I imagined Adelaide as some strange sunbaked oasis in the desert with kangaroos outnumbering people. Therefore, it was great to finally visit a couple of years ago, and find a city similar to Brisbane, blessed with friendly people, and its own unique charm and style. I hope that readers in Adelaide enjoy my book and I hope to visit again soon. I also have to thank them for producing Coopers Pale Ale, my favourite after writing tipple.

Links

Ibooks: https://itunes.apple.com/book/adam/id1092288558
and Kobo: https://store.kobobooks.com/en-us/ebook/adam-28
My website is www.jamesbushill.com and my twitter handle is @JamesTBushill

I’m also on Goodreads: www.goodreads.com/author/show/14651262

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peppermint Patty: I Cried and Cried and Cried

Who Else Writes Like V.C. Andrews?

Phrases and Idioms: Tickets on Himself