Awesome Film Adaptions of Classic Novels

Sigh. Just checked IMDB and it appears that the new film adaption of Great Expectations won't be released in Australia until early March. (What, you mean I have to wait how long ...) I have no idea yet how faithful it will be to the book, but the short previews I've seen so far look promising. And all that made me stop and think about some of the greatest film adaptions of my favourite books. So here they are:

Rebecca (1940)



Alfred Hitchcock's first Hollywood film retains all of the suspense and mystery of Daphne Du Maurier's novel. (But can we expect anything less of a Hitchcock film?) There is also a fantastic little twist at the very end, that I'm sure Ms Du Maurier would have approved of.

Picnic at Hanging Rock (1975)



Peter Weir's film perfectly captures the mystery and eeriness of the book. Beautifully shot in Victoria and South Australia.



A Room With a View (1985)



Beautifully shot, visually pleasing and faithful to the book. This really is one without an equal.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peppermint Patty: I Cried and Cried and Cried

Phrases and Idioms: Tickets on Himself

Who Else Writes Like V.C. Andrews?